Jack O'Who?


"You’re too chicken to do it,” Sean sneered.

The harvest moon shone bright on the two boys.

 

 “I am not.” Jack paused. “Give it here.”

 

“Remember, you gotta leave it on long enough for me to take lots of good pictures.”


Jack rolled his eyes and sighed, “Yeah, Yeah, I know.  Just hand it here.  I can’t believe I lost a stupid bet to you.”

Sean picked up a giant pumpkin, “Here you go.”

The hole was just big enough for a head to squeeze through.

Jack looked hilarious.

He peered through the carved-out eyes.  “Hurry so I can get out of here.  Pumpkin guts stink.”

Sean took several photos, making sure to try all different angles. 

“Alright, that’s enough, help me out.” Jack started tearing at the pumpkin. “Really dude! Help me!” his voice filled with panic. Sean set down the camera and started assisting.  “This isn’t funny man. Get it off.”

“I’m trying.” Sean yelled, fear resonating in his voice.

They struggled and tugged, yanked, and pulled to no avail.

Suddenly Sean stopped and burst out laughing.

“What is wrong with you?” Jack wailed.

“Nothing,” Sean laughed out.  It just dawned on me.  You’re a real Jack-o’-lantern now.”

Comments

  1. Hahaha! Wow, love the realness of the moment here and am really enjoying these characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I love how you ground us in the snappy dialogue and relatable interaction of the two characters, and then build the story to create such awesome tension and suspense. I'm biting my nails for Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this piece with us for the fall writing frenzy, what a fun ending! Sincerely, Kaitlyn Sanchez

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Acorn

Skelly-Bone World Tour